Alimony Law for Divorcing Couples in New York and New Jersey
At Birz Law, we can provide you with expert guidance and support in determining fair spousal support or alimony payments in the states of New York and New Jersey. Our team of legal experts can deliver the right representation to help you achieve the best results for your financial situation. Jenny Birz has been admitted to the Bar in both New Jersey and New York, allowing her to provide the expert family law representation needed for you and your former spouse.
Limited vs. Open Alimony
The amount and duration of alimony typically varies depending on the current income levels and potential income capabilities of each partner. Spousal support may be awarded in one of several ways:
- Limited duration alimony, maintenance, or spousal support is meant to provide temporary financial resources for a set period of time. The term cannot exceed the length of the marriage, except in exceptional circumstances.
- Rehabilitative alimony is also intended to be awarded for a limited period of time and is meant to allow a lower-earning partner to upgrade his or her skills to enter or re-enter the workforce at a reasonable rate of pay.
- Reimbursement alimony is intended to reimburse one spouse for providing financial support during the educational career of the other spouse.
- Open alimony or maintenance arrangements have no fixed end date and can persist until the remarriage or death of the recipient. Such alimony is generally awarded in marriages lasting at least twenty (20) years in duration. It is also presumed that such alimony will terminate once the payor spouse reaches full retirement age. In some cases, courts may find that cohabitation arrangements can also serve to remove the need for alimony or maintenance payments in New York or New Jersey.Working with a qualified alimony attorney can make a big difference in the resolution of these issues and can help you achieve the most equitable and beneficial solution to your divorce and maintenance issues.
Ensuring Fair Outcomes
At Birz Law, we understand both sides of the equation when dealing with maintenance, alimony and other issues. We work with clients to ensure the best outcomes for their needs:
• We can provide additional information to the court that can sometimes reduce the amount of maintenance, alimony or spousal support you will be expected to pay. This can provide you with added financial resources that can help you take on the challenges of your new life on your own terms.
• Jenny Birz and the Birz Law team can also work vigorously to help our clients to achieve fair maintenance payments that can help them start fresh with new employment opportunities and a reasonable standard of living after the divorce process is finalized.
Because we have extensive experience on both sides of this issue, Birz Law can provide the most effective and accurate options for our clients.
Factors Considered When Awarding Alimony
The respective income levels and the financial resources available to each partner are primary considerations when determining the amount of spousal support, maintenance or alimony to be awarded. The length of the marriage can also be a factor in this decision.
Providing the Right Resources for Divorcing Couples
If you are currently in the middle of a contested divorce, division of assets and maintenance payments may be serious points of contention between you and your former spouse. Jenny Birz can provide you with the most effective and practical representation for all aspects of your New York or New Jersey divorce proceedings, allowing you to enjoy greater peace of mind throughout this process.
Birz Law can provide effective representation for all aspects of your divorce, including child support, child custody, alimony and fair division of assets. We work with you to achieve the most practical solutions for these issues. Give us a call today at 201-701-1218 to schedule an appointment with our experienced attorneys. We look forward to the opportunity to help you navigate this difficult process more easily.