Emancipation of a minor in the states of New York and New Jersey is a two-way street:

• Children are declared independent of their parents and can make adult decisions for themselves, and
• Parents or legal guardians are no longer obligated to provide financial support and housing for emancipated children.

Jenny Birz and the Birz Law team can provide expert guidance and support on emancipation proceedings in the states of New York and New Jersey. The laws regarding emancipation vary from state to state. Working with our legal professionals can help you to navigate the legal process to achieve the best results for your family.

Why Consider Emancipation?

For minor children, emancipation offers a few key advantages, including the right to manage their own money, to live separately from their parents and to enter into legally binding contracts. Generally, children must demonstrate that they can support themselves and that they have made alternative living arrangements before the courts will approve emancipation applications.

For parents, emancipating a minor child can sometimes remove the need to make child support payments or to provide shelter and financial resources for the child in question. These proceedings may also be used to reduce parental liability for criminal actions or other activities on the part of their children or to protect other children in the home.

Factors That Affect Eligibility for Emancipation

Courts in New Jersey and New York will consider a number of factors when evaluating a request for legal emancipation of a minor. Some of the most common qualifying events for emancipation of a minor include the following:

• Completion of a child’s formal education
• Enlistment in the military
• Marriage
• Full-time employment combined with relocation to a residence away from parents.

The courts will also consider the overall maturity level of the child in question and any current conflicts with other members of the family when considering an application for emancipation.

Navigating Differences in State Law

Working with a qualified and knowledgeable attorney like Jenny Birz of Birz Law can help you deal with questions about emancipation of minors in the states of New York and New Jersey. Because Jenny Birz is licensed to practice law in both states, she can provide you with the most accurate and effective solutions for situations in which your child has petitioned for status as an emancipated minor and in cases where you believe your child should be considered emancipated under the laws of the state in which you live.

The Best Options for You and Your Family

Birz Law can provide your family with expert representation and the best options when dealing with emancipation for minor children. We will discuss the effects of this move with you and provide you with the most accurate advice possible for your case. Because Jenny Birz is licensed to practice in New York and New Jersey, she can help you navigate the legal systems of both states to achieve the best outcomes. Call us today at 201-701-1218 to schedule an appointment. We look forward to the chance to meet you.

Scroll to Top